Thursday, June 12, 2008
Before I had Tylee, I was working full time at a job that I really loved. After she came into our lives, I just could not go back to work. I couldn't bare the thought of having someone else care for my baby 8 hours each day and not being able to be the kind of parent that I wanted to be. So, Cody and I decided to take the plunge and start our own construction business. Cody had lots of experience in this area; I, however, had none. That was soon to change!
Since Cody teaches all school year - along with coaching, framing, tile work, remodels, deck building, etc. - he is extremely busy. There was no way for him to do all that and be a full time general contractor to boot....so he taught me how. The first house that we built was a spec house that was a 'learn as you go' for me. We did a lot of the work ourselves and I really learned the process of building a house start to finish - I even earned my very own tool belt, compliments of my hot construction worker husband! Since then, we've built three more and are working on two right now. (Lacee's house and a house for us.....which we will probably put up for sale---AGAIN!)
At this point in life, Cody has so many other obligations that it has been nice to be able to take the riegns and let him concentrate more on those other things while I run the business. It's a huge sense of accomplishment for me and something that I really enjoy doing. I've gotten busy enough that I trade kids with my sisters two days a week so I can keep up. I quickly learned that although some things I can do with the kids, other things are definately not "kid friendly." I still think it's funny when I meet or talk to a sub and they automatically assume that I must be my husband's secretary or something. They will ask for his phone number or something and I have to ask, "why would you need it?" :) Sorry boys, you answer to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Sharie you are awesome! Way to balance it all.
haha...that is awesome! I like the way you think. I'm always so impressed with all that you handle! You're like supermom with a complete profession...and a tool belt. I don't think I could ever do it. Gavin talks with me about construction stuff and I know I have this complete blank stare of my face!
holy crap. how awesome are you! seriously I would have no idea how to do that. I would get so nervous. way to go. I think that is a very cool thing.
Post a Comment