Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pillowrag

There once lived a pillow
fluffy and new.
It was soft as flannel
and it smelled like fresh dew.

It was given to little Tylee
by her Grandma so dear,
but that poor little pillow
only lived for one year.

It was put in its grave,
a box for safekeeping
while another was made
and switched out while Tylee was sleeping.

Pillow number two
took quite a beating,
it was stained and torn
and smelled like whatever Ty'd been eating.

This pillow was a trooper
it made it two more years,
it got lost, it got found
and it wiped a million tears.

Mommy tried to replace it
as did Grandma Hansen and Grandma Lu,
but Tylee wouldn't take them -
she didn't want anything new.

She said her dismal pillow
had a smell just like her daddy
and any attempt to restore it
would disappoint her oh so badly.

The fabric was threadbare
the stuffing had all fallen out,
the holes couldn't be fixed
but Tylee didn't pout.

She loved her little "pillowrag"
until it's dying day,
but Tylee is a big girl now
and in the keepsake box it will stay.

Pillowrag, you will be missed:)

9 comments:

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

You need to put this poem in with the retired pillowrag! She will love to read it when she gets bigger! We're still trying to get rid of our "special" blankies! I am guessing they will still be kicking around when my girls go to college! Oh, and I love your craft project! I wish I could think of cool things like that!

also known as shell said...

this was to cute. I've always wanted my kids to do something like this. but they never have.

darn!

JEFF AND LINDSY said...

Sharie, that is soo cute! Did you make that up yourself? I am very impressed!

Anonymous said...

sharie, I know that I already told you how much I love this poem and how I think you should frame it and keep it forever, it is so sweet and cute. Remember, this one day will be like the Trace Adkins song, "Your Gonna Miss This".

Gavin and Natalie said...

hahaha...did you make that up? Man, you and Jessica really got a lot out of High School English...I think I used Craig too much as a crutch. :) haha hahaha. And I love your crafts! So creative! I'm always so impressed by things you do. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You are so creative! It must have come from the other side of your family! I'm not creative at all! Hope life is good!

the-olson-clan said...

That's so cute! It reminds me of my cousins...they all had blankets that ended up looking like tylee's pillow! It was fun to see you at the recital. Nancy does such a great job with those kids, and you are so nice to help...that was a huge production! so I was going to tell you at the recital (but little 3-year olds kept me busy!) Kristy told me that one of the houses you and cody built is close to our new house! You guys did a great job on it, from the outside it looks great!

Jeff and Sandy said...

When I first started making the pillows to go with the blankets I don't think the girls really thought they would use them. But it has been so fun to watch as some of the grand daughters have become really attached to their little pillows. I will have to say that Tylee and Rachel have probably been the most attached. Tylee's "Pillowrag" gets the prize for longevity! As Sharie was writing the poem, she called me and it had me in tears before it was even finished. It's priceless!
What a keepsake for our little Tylee! Love ya, Grandma H.

Jeff and Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.